"The core of man's spirit comes from new experiences."

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Getting Settled


I have been in Ireland for about ten days now. It feels a lot longer. So let's start from the very beginning.

The first few days were very interesting. I was just trying to soak up the new environment of the place that I would call home for the next few months. Scoping out the areas that have given Limerick it's infamous nickname of "Stab City". There are seven other students who came with the program API, so the first few days we spent getting to know one another and acclimating to a new country with very foreign activities like bowling and shopping ;)

I have to say, I was somewhat disappointed by Ireland at first. I was expecting a very rural, simple way of life across the entire country (I know, ignorant American). So when I found myself living on the outskirts of a lively, bustling and fully modern city (wow, they do have electricity here!), I was surprised. However, my disappointment was quickly forgotten when we visited the Cliffs of Moher.

We traveled through what I thought of as "real Ireland", with cows, thatched roofs, rolling hills, and all things green on a tour towards the cliffs, stopping at various scenic and historical points along the way. And oh my god, was it breathtaking. Every direction you looked, there was something beautiful! We saw farms, mountains, caves, beaches, the cliffs, the ocean, marinas, and open fields. And I'm pretty sure they cut the grass with rulers out here, because everything was so well kept, and pristine-looking. Anyway, the day we went to the Cliffs I definitely fell in love with the country, and half the girls and I decided that we will be getting married there someday!

We also visited King John's Castle which is located right in Limerick City as well as St. Mary's Cathedral, both of which were amazing architecturally and historically. They actually were digging underneath King John's Castle to start renovation projects and happened upon old ruins of houses that were underneath the castle. Everywhere you look in Ireland there is some remnant of ancient history or some story to be told. It's really an incredible feeling to realize the wonder surrounding you. We went out to a pub with live traditional Irish music and it was incredible. They have a table reserved for local musicians and they just come together and improvise songs for hours. You can feel the passion pulsing through the room and you can't help but smile. The music, like everything in Ireland, tells a story.

And the people of Ireland are not shy about their history. You make eye contact with someone in a pub, and they'll start dishing out stories about their lives or their history or anything, really. They love to talk and they definitely love to drink. I have found the Irish to be exceptionally welcoming and friendly (aside from the pack of 10 year old boys that hit a group of us with bike tires screaming "American bitches!".. but they are few and far between).

So I did come to Ireland to go to school, which I have to constantly remind myself on a daily basis. The University of Limerick has a really beautiful campus. I'm living in a suite with 5 other girls (1 American, 4 Irish), and we each have our own room and bathroom (YESSSSSSSSSS no more nasty back-hair shavings on the sink from boys!) We have our own kitchen, which is nice but it means no dining halls or anything on campus. Basically I've been living off peanut butter for the past week. I should really learn to cook.. There's also a common area with couches and a tv and a great view of the Irish country-side. I absolutely love it! And the Irish girls are so friendly! The boys, on the other hand.. well, let's just say they bring a whole new level to bluntness. But for the most part, people are very fun-loving, outgoing and easy going. Quite lovely!

Yes, I am starting to pick up some slang, thank you for noticing! Everyone says the words "grand" and "lovely" instead of "cool". And "craic" (pronounced crack) means fun. So if something is going to be a good time, they say "it should be great craic!". And they think it's hilarious that 'crack' refers to drug in American slang. They also think it's funny to screw with Americans who don't know the meaning of "shifting", "meeting", or "scoring".. which all mean making out. Yeah, you catch on to that one quick. I've also noticed that the Irish say "like", just as Americans enjoy using as a space holder between words, but they say it at the end of a sentence, you know, like?

So that's all for now. I'm coming down with some sort of cold. Probably because my body is finally catching up to me, and asking why I am trying to drown my liver. So I am going to bed early and resting up! Tomorrow there is a huge concert on campus, and Thursday night is the big night out on campus. All the Irish students actually go home on the weekends, so the campus is dead. Luckily, travelling is so easy and cheap that it's the perfect opportunity for students like me to get the most out of the semester! Plus clubs on campus have a lot of excursions on the weekends.. like scuba club diving the Red Sea in Egypt, or snowboarding club going off to Italy for the weekend, skydiving club jumping in Spain..you get the picture.

I'm off to make a gourmet meal of toast a la peanut butter!

Adieu!


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are settling well! I am sooooo jealous! love you, thanks for sharing your experience so I can live vicariously through you :)
    ps: i taught you to cook better than peanutbutter this summer, use it woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I have it all figured out. Beautiful pictures, great descriptions, lovely. (Don't work too hard on those "tough" classes.)

    ReplyDelete