"The core of man's spirit comes from new experiences."

Monday, September 13, 2010

A weekend get-a-wet

Since classes haven't really gotten underway yet, and seeing that the forecast predicted a bright and sunny weekend, I decided to get some more traveling under my belt and head for the Aran Islands.

So my two friends and I caught a bus from Limerick into the small town of Doolin, where we found a cheap, but really nice hostel to stay in for the night. I had been to Doolin the first week I was here for lunch, and it was so beautiful I really wanted to go back. Plus, it is the unofficial capital of Irish traditional music, so I couldn't pass up an opportunity to spend some time there.

We arrived around 1700 on Saturday afternoon and went out exploring a little. I love Doolin because there is such diverse scenery. It's a fishing village along the coast, so of course there are stunning ocean views with cliffs that go on for miles. Then there's the endless green pastures with cows in every direction you look. The entire town consists of two streets, really. There' s a few houses, a few hostels/B and B's, and then the traditional Irish music pubs. So we went around to a few pubs and made friends with a Scottish traveller who was actually in our room in the hostel. The music was barely audible over the laughter and chatter of the pub, but regardless, it was a very fun atmosphere.

The next morning it was absolutely pouring. We walked down the pier to buy tickets for the ferry, which was running late because of the huge, crashing waves that nearly tipped the boat over. We finally made it to the largest of the three islands, Inis Mor. Luckily, Ireland's weather is almost as indecisive as me, so the weather cleared up for a little bit, convincing us to rent bikes and followed a map around the island.

The island had a very eerie feeling. The island is populated by about 800 Irish-speaking people, though I only encountered tourists. Maybe because of the random, intense downpours, its inhabitants decided to hide indoors for the day, but it felt very desolate and gloomy. It's one of the few places left where Celtic culture thrives covered with ruins, stone walls, fields, and barren limestone rock.

So after our bike ride, we got some chicken and chips and headed back for the ferry. By this point it was pouring again, and the water did not look too inviting. We were worried because there was only one bus out of Doolin to Limerick City, which left Doolin at 545, and the ferry didn't leave the island until about 4, with an hour and half ride ahead of us.

After an hour and fourty minutes of being thrown around by the waves and little Irish children yelling in my ear, we finally made it back to the pier in Doolin. The owner of the ferry company had heard that we needed to catch that last bus, so we sprinted to his car and he chased after the bus through the narrow country roads. He asked us what we saw, and apparently we missed all the big tourist attractions on the island. Oops.

So apparently, people go to Inis Mor to see: The Arann Lighthouse and Signal Tower (I think we may have passed by that?), Oun Aonghasa, the oldest and largest preserved Celtic Stone fort built in 2000 B.C (definitely missed that one), The Worm Hole, which is a natural pool in the cliffs (ya, missed that one too), Na Seacht D'Teampheall, which are ruins of churches and monastic houses, The Aran Seal Colony, and Teampall Bheanain, the smallest church in the world (3.7 m x 1.8 m).

According to the owner, "ye saw shite!". Sooo if anyone plans on going to the Aran Islands, I would recommend taking either a bus tour or a horse-drawn carriage tour because apparently we missed the entire island. I was wondering what the big deal was about some more fields and cows...

Anyway, we finally caught up to the bus and were safe and sound on our way back to Limerick. I got back on campus and was informed that my room was still in the process of being de-bugged so I stayed with a friend last night.

And I have no Monday classes, so I am enjoying my rainy, three day weekend. I have crew practice tonight at 6, which I'm really excited about because they have indoor and outdoor rowing facilities! I also joined Outdoor Pursuits clubs that does a lot of rock climbing, hiking, orienteering and such as well as Music Society. Hopefully I'll meet more Irish students. My American friends here are nice and all, but I did come to Ireland to meet Irish people!

Well that's all for now :) Hopefully I will be in my nice, big, warm, bug-free bed tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment